Monday, June 18, 2007

OMG DDO DOA?

Welcome back, as I finally get back around to posting. I apologize, my birthday was last week and I was totally remiss with the postings mainly because I was being lazy (i.e. getting more than five hours of sleep). This week I am going to spend some time on my favorite hobby, gaming.

Unfortunately, it seems like tabletop roleplaying games have lately been overshadowed and eclipsed by the tediously repetitive, but visually stunning MMORPGS. Frankly, and maybe it is just me, but I cannot imagine playing a game that is so repetitive for any measurable length of time without real Role Playing. The problem is that, from what I have seen, the RP on any MMORPG is pretty much non-existant. Interaction of players is based almost exclusively around combat resolution, and not about character advancement. In addition, characters are irrelevant, only gear and abilities are important, so very little thought goes into characters and characterization.

Personally, this is why I prefer tabletop gaming. There are people there to react with and the story can organically grow (as opposed to branching from a determined plot tree written by an post-adolescent who read Tolkien, McCaffrey, Vance, and Norton too often). I like to see people with whom I am playing, and have a good time doing it.

No comments: