Friday, March 26, 2010

TV & Movies: Caprica Mid-Season Finale Tonight

Last week I saw a rough cut of this week's episode, and I have to say that I am looking forward to seeing the final product tonight.  Of course, I will be seeing the extra-late showing since this evening is also the night of Modern Masters, meeting up in Ramsey at the Borders Interstate Plaza, but still, it will be one heck of a ride!  I know!

Why am I writing about Caprica again, you ask?  Well, it is going to be a while before we get to see more episodes, so I am getting it out of the way now.

Well, what can I say about Caprica that I did not address in last week's write-up of the Caprica panel?  Well, first of all, I have to say that never before has a show so obviously diversified its viewers.  Seriously, though, many critics posit that this show is a polarizing effort, but I often wonder if they are watching the same program that I am.  In every episode of Caprica thus far we have seen a variety of differing views and opinions, and the show does not espouse or promote any one of them over the others (except maybe the concept that blowing up commuter trains is bad).  Say what you like about Caprica, it is not a single view-point show.

So, Todd, what issues are important to you?  Well, I have to admit that I love the whole big gay gangster scene (more scenes of Sasha Roiz would be greatly appreciated), but that sort of goes without saying.  Religious differences, though interesting, are not necessarily a subject that excites much interest in me, though I have to admit to sharing Sister Clarice's interest in apotheosis, though we in the real world would call it extropianism, or singularity, or transhumanism.  How about the impact of technology on people?  Well, I tend to think that the show tends to look at science and technology as dirty words, and it seems to me that although they do try to show both sides of the argument, they stress the statement that high technology dehumanizes and debases the players more than it brings folk together (it should be noted that this has been said about many things over the past few years, and psychologists have pretty well debunked that, even though the myth persists).  Social differences are, to me, the most important and interesting things that the show addresses, and Caprica does a great job of showcasing these issues.

To wrap up: If you aren't watching, catch up On Demand or online and watch tonight!

No comments: