Friday, May 18, 2007

The Dork is Rising...

I apologize for not posting my rantings more often this week, however things have been a bit hectic. I recently found out that I am being laid off in September (bad news), but my friend wants to hire me to work for him (good news), but he doesn't need me to start right away (bad news), but he does need my help with a couple of minor things (good news), and wait, no, he may need me to start now after all (good news). I think I got whiplash from watching my future bouncing across the table. But enough of that noise, on with the show!

This week has been great for Science Fiction. Spider-man 3 and 28 Weeks Later are at the top of the box office, Heroes beat 24 for its time slot, the SciFi channel is starting to put more pressure on interesting new programs like Tinman, Flash Gordon, Dresden Files, and more, and Wizards of the Coast is focusing on more player friendly game mechanics. All in all, a great week all around.

Personally, I am more than a little interested to see what projects SciFi is cooking up in its lab. I really hope that we can look forward to more great new original mini-series like Battlestar Galactica, Dune, Lost Room, Earthsea, and, of course, Taken. Tinman looks fantastic, and I really hope that it lives up to its appearances.

Speaking of living up to one's appearances, I have to admit that I am pesonally a bit psyched by one upcoming project: The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper is being made into a movie!!!! I loved those books, and will now have to re-read them in anticipation of the film. This will mean that I will have to gush like an adolescent fanboy about what a superior writer Cooper is to Rowling (sorry J.K., I love your books too, but Susan Cooper and Lloyd Alexander beat you in the writing department). Seriously, the SF renaissance will come with the new generation of readers and movie-goers, and the best way to get kids to read is to get them excited. Major motion pictures do that, as evinced by the increase in interest in the Lord of the Rings and the Narnia books after the release of those movies. Get a jump on the movie, read this book now!

No comments: